Thursday, June 8, 2017

Anxiety

Writing this blog post to raise awareness on the most discussed topic: anxiety

After all these years, I've came to a realization that a lot of people don't know what anxiety is. Well, it's actually understandable because some of the people who has anxiety didn't know it was anxiety until- when? I don't know about others but I didn't know I have anxiety until last year November when I sort of undergo an anxiety attack. I always thought it was just feeling you get when something bad is about to happen. 

Today, my mom called me to ask about Big Bang's TOP. 

Mom: What happen to TOP? He has a depression is it?
Me: Uhm, it's actually anxiety.
Mom: What's anxiety?
Me: Panic.
Mom: I don't think he's gonna make it.
Me: HE IS going to make it. He regain his consciousness today.

I was on the edge of flipping when she said depression. Like??? How can one assume anxiety is depression? It wouldn't be written in different words if it has the same meaning! I didn't really talk to people about my anxiety, and this is why. People always thought it's some kind of mental illness and it would stop you from carrying out daily routines like a normal person could. 

What's getting on my nerve is the fact that people actually say stuff like 'don't overthink it', 'it's all in your head'. If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't! My anxiety attack is getting more and more frequent recently and what did I get? Stop stressing. Like, how many middle fingers do you need? Now, words of advice, if you don't want to worsen the situation and you're afraid that you would do something wrong, just leave them alone. 

Anxiety are getting more and more common among teenagers nowadays. And I really hope that people can understand how anxiety works and what can you do about it. Anxiety attacks can happen anytime and anywhere. It doesn't need a reason to happen either. 

Anxiety attack aren't always hyperventilating and rocking back and forth. Anxiety attacks can take different forms, such as:
  • Unpredictable bouts of rage or irritability
  • Nit-pickiness (obsessive behavior, which may be part of OCD), and even a hypersensitivity to disarray, chaos, or any sort of change
  • Fast-talking, stuttering, stumbling over words
  • Not talking at all
  • Sitting rigid, staring into space, almost seeming 'zoned out'
Understanding the way anxiety works can help to decrease the stigma and help to calm a person faster and get them out of that state. These are just a few,but it gives an idea of the range in which attacks can come. So, when you notice these symptoms in your friends, try not to ask them 'are you okay?' because I can ensure you that you're not doing any help. You can simply just accompany them in silence to help them out. 

You know when you're in the car and your seat belt locks up for no reason like it thinks you're about to crush but you're not and you're just stuck for a while? That's a really good metaphor for what it's like living with anxiety and panic disorder. Sometimes things happen for no reason and sometimes you think you're dying and you just have to sit there and wait it out, then eventually it just does it again.

If you don't understand metal illness. Good for you. You shouldn't have to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment